Healthy Eggplant and Meatball Casserole
This Healthy Eggplant and Meatball Casserole is comforting, savory, and easy to make. This is a traditional Turkish dish of baked meatballs with vegetables including eggplants, topped with your favorite tomato sauce or marinara. Perfect for a delicious, healthy weeknight dinner that all your family will love!
- Ingredients for meatballs:
- 2 lb 905g lean ground beef, 85% lean
- 1/3 cup 25g breadcrumbs
- 1 medium 95g yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Ingredients for casserole:
- 4 small 1 ½ lb/600 g eggplants, (preferably Japanese), sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1 medium 150g bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium 120g red onion, sliced
- 2 medium 180g tomatoes
- 1 cup 240g tomato sauce or marinara
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
How to Make Meatballs:
In a large mixing bowl, add all meatball ingredients. Mix with your hands or use a flat beater of a stand mixer until well combined.
Shape into meatballs (about a full ice cream scoop of meat). Set aside.
How to Make Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Slice the eggplants into 1-inch rounds.
To assemble the casserole, in a 9”x13” baking casserole dish, layer the eggplant slices and meatballs in turns. Fill the pepper, onion, and tomato slices in the gaps between the rows. Sprinkle the salt and black pepper.
Pour the tomato sauce or marinara over the casserole and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, serve and enjoy!
How Many Calories in Healthy Eggplant and Meatball Casserole
|Calories (per 1 serve, 300 g): 372 cal
||Calories (per 100 g ): 124 cal
|Fat: 21.6 g
||Fat: 7.2 g
|Carbohydrates: 18.3 g
||Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
|Protein: 34.8 g
||Protein: 11.6 g